Mol Bio 497: Career Readiness Inside and Outside the Academy
Offered by CIRTL@UCLA and the Career Center in Spring 2020
We know that time and structured opportunities for career focused professional development are scarce for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Co-taught by STEM and Humanities faculty, our goal is to build a community that provides you with support and guidance to explore any possible career paths, expose you to a variety of options and give you the tools to pursue them in a systematic way.
This 2-unit course is offered to Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars across all disciplines who want to be part of a community supporting individualized professional development and a systematic approach to career exploration.
Topics to be covered include:
- The Career Development Process
- Assessing yourself and finding a career match
- Networking for Career Exploration and Developing your Online Brand
- Individual Development Planning, Imagine PhD and setting priorities
- Tailor your resume/CV to a job post
- Communicating about identity and diversity in the workplace
- Developing a cover letter/teaching/research/diversity statement
- Interviewing and professional negotiation skills
- Career Center Events
- Practice selling your brand
-The class will meet on Wednesday’s from 12-1:30 pm, April 1 – June 3, 2020.
-No more than 1 hr of work outside of class
-It is recommended that graduate students are advanced to candidacy
- Complete this google registration form (https://forms.gle/JjNtnz9x8omGGMTP6) by Friday, March 20th, 2020
- If you are a graduate student you must also enroll on MyUCLA
For more information or any questions please contact
Dr. Rachel Kennison at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Dr. Erin Brown at email@example.com